Thirteen East London Markets: East London has quite the array of markets. This list is by no means complete but serves instead to introduce you to the wide variety of markets that make shopping in east London both a pleasure and an adventure.
- Brick Lane: known locally as “The Lane”, located at the northern end of Brick Lane and along Cheshire Street. It sells food and general “junk” goods.
- Columbia Road Flower Market: fresh flower market located between Bethnal Green and Shoreditch.
- Petticoat Lane: is located on Wentworth Street and Middlesex Street and is fantastic for clothing.
- Whitechapel Market: 80 stalls Monday through Saturday selling everything from fresh fruit to fish, clothing, bedding, carpets, jewelry and electrical goods, all at unbelievable prices.
- Hackney Broadway Farmer’s Market: The largest of the Farmer’s Markets in east London near to the Bethnal Green Tube station.
- Queen’s Market: in Upton Park is a large market selling a variety of foods from all over the world, in particular, the Indian sub-continent.
- Spitalfields Gourmet Market: a food market which relocated in 1991 to New Spitalfields Market, Leyton. The original market site is still used as a market selling food and general goods and is part of a revival of the surrounding area.
- Ridley Road/Dalston Market: located in Dalston, sells food (particularly fish) and general goods.
- Rathbone Market: located beside the Somerfield in Canning Town is a small Thursday morning market selling textiles and Bric-à-Brac. It is also open on Good Friday (when it extends up the Barking Road). There are also a few limited stalls on Tuesdays.
- Chrisp Street Market: a general goods market, is located in Poplar.
- Exmouth Market: located in Clerkenwell, sells food (cheeses, bread, patisserie, fruit, and vegetables) and crafts on Fridays and Saturdays. It is one of London’s newest markets.
- Romford Market: is located in Romford, selling food and general goods.
- Walthamstow market: located in Walthamstow. It is the longest market in Europe and sells food, clothing, and assorted goods.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here. The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged. If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy and fun. Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted.