UK Driving Rules England

UK Driving Rules England-License, Provisional License, Highway Code, DVLA

Living and Working in the UK- UK Driving Rules

Immigration UK / England – UK Driving Rules England – License, Exchanging, Provisional License, Buying Insurance, Highway Code, DVLA

This section is Crown Copyright © material as mentioned at and part of which has been merely reproduced

The whole document is available on UK Trade and Investment website and is located at at the time of writing this note (Dec 07)

UK Driving Rules England

You can also Download Living and work in the UK document from below

Living and working in the UK – PDF Format

UK Immigration Home Visa Requirements UK Work Permits HSMP UK Utilities UK Housing renting UK Health Service NHS UK Education Learning English UK Public holidays 2008 UK Personal Banking UK Income tax UK Driving

UK Driving Rules England

UK Driving Rules England – License, Exchanging, Provisional License, Buying Insurance, Highway Code, DVLA

The UK has a comprehensive road network including more than 2,000 miles of motorway. These are generally toll-free except for small charges for using certain new stretches of motorway or particular bridges and tunnels.

Visitors from North America, continental Europe and other parts of the world will need to adapt to driving on the left. You may also need to familiarise yourself with features such as roundabouts, standard road markings, and speed limits. Full details are in The Highway Code, which you can buy from most UK bookshops or access online at
The UK’s two major motoring organizations also offer wide-ranging help and advice on their websites:,


In Great Britain, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the government agency responsible for maintaining registers of drivers and vehicles, and for collecting road taxes. Full information about driving in Great Britain is available on the DVLA website:

There are Separate Agencies For:

1. Northern Ireland:
2. Isle of Man:
3. Jersey:
4. Guernsey:


The minimum age for driving in Great Britain is:
1. 17 years for cars and motorcycles
2. 18 years for medium-sized vehicles
3. 21 years for large lorries and buses
Driving 26
Leaflet D100 gives further information. Leaflet INF38 explains the current rules affecting foreign driving license holders who visit or come to live in Great Britain. You can obtain both leaflets at any Post Office branch or download them from the DVLA website.


Your license may be valid in Great Britain, depending on the country in which it was issued and whether you qualify as a new resident or a visitor. In most cases, ordinary license holders can drive in Great Britain either for a specified period or while their license remains valid. They are
then usually able to exchange it for a Great Britain license.

Vocational licenses – to drive lorries, for example – are subject to different regulations. Holders may be able to continue driving in Great Britain but may have to take a British driving test to obtain a Great Britain vocational license.

The rules for driving licenses differ for each of the following country groupings:

1. European Economic Area (EEA)
2. Northern Ireland
3. Gibraltar and designated countries, which are:
4. Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man
5. All other countries
You can find detailed explanations on the regulations for each country grouping on the DVLA website and in Leaflet INF38.


If you wish to exchange your license for a full British license you need to send the following to the DVLA:
1. Completed application form D1
2. Your current license
3. The appropriate fee This process can take up to 15 working days and involves the applicant sending appropriate identity documents, such as a passport, to the DVLA. You can get the necessary forms either from Post Office branches or from the DVLA.


If you need to pass a Great Britain driving test in order to gain a full British license you must first apply for a provisional license by sending completed form D1, including the appropriate fee, to:
DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.


A vehicle license (commonly known as the “tax disc”) shows that you have paid the necessary vehicle excise duty (VED) for your vehicle. It shows the registration mark (number) of the vehicle and the date up to which you have paid VED. You can find further information about VED on the DVLA website.

Under the Road Traffic Acts, failure to have insurance for a licensed vehicle is a criminal offense. You must also have a valid insurance certificate covering you for “Third Party” liability as a minimum. Before driving any vehicle, make sure that it has this cover for your use or that your own insurance gives you adequate cover. There are three types of car insurance cover available in the UK, namely “Comprehensive”, “Third Party, Fire and Theft” and “Third Party Only”.

Traveling by British Rail, Train in EnglandInformation on getting and reading your train ticket, the high speed and regional train system; a link to train schedules.

More Info On- Public Transport Etiquettes